Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Let there be cake!!

So, a few months ago, I saw this post on MckMama's blog. As soon as I saw it, I knew that I HAD to try making it. My mom's birthday (which is this Sunday, the 29th) was the perfect excuse. Since she'll be out of town on her birthday, I decided to make it a few days early. I've been waiting patiently, and was SO EXCITED when the time finally came to make it.

Now, let me preface by saying this: I've never made a cake before. Ever. So a few days ago, I practiced by making a Pillsbury "funfetti' cake, but still just used the canned frosting. This was my first EVER attempt at making a large cake on my own, and at making frosting. I'm so excited with how it came out!!

I took pictures throughout the day to document it. From start to finish, it took me about 5.5-6 hours to make. So worth it! :)




Mixing up the batter for the red (well...red, turned hot pink) and orange layers.

Ready to go in the oven!










Messy mixing spoons!

Making frosting in the midst of a GIANT mess

yumm

Starting to frost the cake

All finished but...

...the real fun is on the inside! :) :)

Not bad for a first cake, eh? ;)

2 comments:

no1jgirl said...

This is AWESOME!!! I am so going to have to do this with the kids sometime soon!!! Maybe during winter break!
<3
Esther

Amanda said...

Great job! I am the one who made the cake and brought it to Mckmama's... and I think your is beautiful!

Blessings-
Amanda